Saturday, February 5, 2011

Forgiven

Free Purple Lilac Flowers and Converse All Stars Creative Commonsphoto © 2007 D. Sharon Pruitt | more info (via: Wylio)

The sun melted in spills of pink and orange, a ball deflated and spent beyond the ridge casting shadows that stretched like long fingers across the back lawn, and I settled inside, at peace with the opened gift of another day.

Thank you, Lord, I sigh. Thank you for home, family, good days and bad. Thank you for all we were able to accomplish today; the cooking, the cleaning, the straightening up and attempts at organizing of our lives.

All day long, I think “progress”. It feels good to get so much done.

But the Lord keeps saying “forgiveness”.

Forgiveness? Why forgiveness? I wrestle with the term over and over – my day hasn’t been about forgiveness.

But, it has, He reminds me gently…quietly.

He takes me back - way back before ironing husband’s shirts and walking young children to school; back to those few flailing years, fighting and clawing my way through young adulthood like a cat dripping wet and angry to swim; back when I ignored His voice and walked along my tight-rope alone going about life in selfish tangents. Back to a time of which I’m not proud. The memories, they sting and I turn my face away in disgust.

That’s when He closes the book – closes it for good, and lifts me out, brings me back to my full heart and the shadows that stretch even longer still until evening darkness erases them for another day.

I’m not there anymore.

I’m not her anymore.

My breathing returns and I emerge from the moment wiping tears, content with where we’reFree Cup of Coffee and Flowers at Daybreak Creative Commonsphoto © 2007 D. Sharon Pruitt | more info (via: Wylio)
going, glad with this forward motion of things.

About this precious man I’ve vowed to share all my tomorrows with. The one who’s held my hand for the birth of every grey hair and fine line; every rise and fall of life.

There had to be forgiveness along the way to receive the fullness of heart today. A forgiveness that melts away the sting of those early years much like that sunset…deflated and spent.

Thank you, God for your gift of forgiveness.

Come now, let us settle the matter,”
says the LORD.
“Though your sins are like scarlet,
they shall be as white as snow;
though they are red as crimson,
they shall be like wool.

(Isaiah 1:18) NIV

Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, the new creation has come: The old has gone, the new is here!

(2 Corinthians 5:17) NIV

7 comments:

  1. Debbie, that was utterly beautiful! You are such a lyrical writer. LOVE it! Love you sweet friend!

    Blessings,
    Mel
    Please feel free to stop by: Trailing After God

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Debbie, dear, I understand that type of forgiveness........it can only come from Christ alone. I, too, have had some things in my past of which I'm not proud in the least. But I can say today that my husband truly loves me as Christ loves the church. So gently forgiving and loving. Thank you for this post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this... "That’s when He closes the book – closes it for good, and lifts me out, brings me back to my full heart and the shadows that stretch even longer still until evening darkness erases them for another day." Beautiful. True. Love. Rejoicing over forgiveness. Thank you, lovely post... as usual!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh how I love this post and your blog! This was beautiful!

    I have awarded you also with the stylish blogger award today...if you need info you can check it out on my blog.
    melody-mae.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful posting and nice blog, Debbie. Until you know the truth of the gospel of grace, there is no 'free from guilt and shame'.

    I'm going through followers of my blog and thanking them for taking the time to read my postings. So glad to be doing this as it brings me closer to who my followers are.

    Love your Google profile bio. I see you're a church secretary. I'm the Women's Ministry leader in our church..Bellingham, WA.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a beautiful post...I am so blessed to have found your blog..I truly missed it while I was on vacation..but now I am back and I can soak this all in...again thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello, I found your blog in chistian network on facabook. responded to your invitaion to drop b at yor blog.I found peace, in your blogpost, as I read it, God works.I am following you now.Please visit, my blog too.
    http://maysevenscoffeetable.blogspot.com
    If you like it, please follow me too.thanks.
    am blest indeed today!God bless

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails