Saturday, February 19, 2011

Saturday Mornings

Estonian Embassy Fireplacephoto © 2010 Ted | more info (via: Wylio)
The squeaky stairs announce to the rest of the house that I’m up and awake, heading for the coffee pot and fireplace. It’s the early hours that I love best before the house comes to life and words and demands clutter the air; with steam of fresh coffee swirling, the comfort of the fire and the welcome silence to keep me company as I plan out my day.

But, how good are my plans if I've truly given them to God? My lips speak prayers in the earlyWoman in blue dress sitting near fireplacephoto © 2008 George Eastman House | more info (via: Wylio)
darkness and the flames dance, but are they really from the heart? I ask Him to be Lord over my day, over all I do and say. I know what I'd like to accomplish, but how much room does that leave for His work in me when my Saturdays are all about accomplishing and checking off my tasks one by one, and that sense of satisfaction of a job well done at the end of the day?

The chimney smoke floats past the window and the clouds shift beyond the garden. A break in the storm and I inhale the few last precious moments of quiet before I set out to accomplish and do...whatever He asks me to.

Praying you spend the day in the light of His will.

Turn to me and have mercy on me,
as you always do to those who love your name.
Direct my footsteps according to your word;
let no sin rule over me.
Redeem me from human oppression,
that I may obey your precepts.

(Psalm 119:132-134) NIV





3 comments:

  1. Good morning, Debbie! Starting my day out with the Lord, too, but also have that list of things I'd like to do.

    I guess the answer is to write the list in pencil and give God the eraser.

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good morning Debbie :) One of the biggest challenges I face today is having my days already planned for me before they get here. When, instead, I would like to sit in front of that fire and feast on Holy manna. My most treasured moments right now are becoming really late at night or very early in the mornings.......anywhere from midnight on. There's something about the sweet stillness of the night that has brought some of the most precious and intimate times with my Lord. I don't really care when they are so much as making sure they're there. I'm so happy to be a follower of your blog. You are an inspiration to me! Thank you:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Debbie...that too is my favorite time of day early morning...when things are anew again..love this post..it's as if you were in my heart...

    Blessings,
    sherry ;-)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails