Friday, March 11, 2011

Running TO or FROM (re-post)

Drowning in sunlightphoto © 2008 David Masters | more info (via: Wylio)
Streaks of dappled light spilled like warm honey across the seat cushions luring me to enjoy a moment or two at my favorite spot on the back patio. I sat drinking in the warmth of sunlight watching my goldfish in the little patio “pond” darting in and out of leaf shadows.

I closed my eyes truly thankful, savoring the moment; this very moment, a pause in the rush, a wonderful break in the hurry of things to enjoy the gift of true peace.

It seems, for so many of us, life easily becomes all about the running. The hurry up, let’s go. Running late. Running behind. Running here and there.

Have you ever wondered….

I mean really considered….

Just what you’re running TO….or FROM?

Reading In The Sunlightphoto © 2008 Garry Knight | more info (via: Wylio)

Are we really pursuing God’s heart if we tangle up our days with so many commitments and burdens? Could we be adding to the chaos sometimes, maybe purposely running from the quiet, because when it all stops spinning and we’re left with our own sin staring us in the face…the silence of it all would be too much to bear?

Or, can we honestly say we’re running to the throne of grace; to the Father ready to embrace our past, present and future - the One who wants us to stop the running and find true rest in Him?

What are you running from or to today?

-*-

Slow me down, Lord!
Ease the pounding of my heart
By the quieting of my mind.
Steady my harried pace
With a vision of the eternal reach of time.
Give me, dmidst the confusions of my day,
The calmness of the everlasting hills.

Break the tensions of my nerves
With the soothing music of the sighing streams
That live in my memory.
Help me to know
The magical restoring power of sleep.

Teach me the art
Of taking minute vacations of slowing down to look at a flower;
To chat with an old friend or to make a new one;
To pat a stray dog,
To watch a spider build a web;
To smile at a child;
Or to read a few lines from a good book.

Remind me each day
That the race is not always to the swift;
That there is more to life than increasing its speed.
Let me look upward
Into the branches of the towering oak
And know that it grew slowly and well.

Slow me down, Lord,
And inspire me to send my roots deep
Into the soil of life’s enduring values
That I may grow toward the stars
Of my great destiny.

—– prayer by Wilferd A. Peterson

Thank you for allowing me to share this once again. Seems so fitting for many of us these days.

God Bless!

4 comments:

  1. i am taking this Saturday to stop by my followers and say HI and tell you how much I appreciate you! Have a wonderful weekend!
    melody

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for this post..love the prayer..much needed this morning...

    Many blessings...Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  3. Coming off of two really busy weeks this was a wonderful read for my weariness... I am slowing down this week, making my world a little smaller and focusing on the ministries He gave me first... my love for Him, my husband and these precious children. Lovely, encouraging post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the reminder that nothing of this world is more important than spending time with God.

    I found you on the blog farm, and love your blog!

    May God bless your writing and lead you closer to him.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails