Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Living Brightly

Exercising is a new thing for me. My body is still in shock over it and has yet to forgive me for the mile and a half I sweated out last night on the treadmill. It’s set up on the back patio and each evening I wait until the sun sinks low behind the trees. I head out there, plug in my music, pick up my 3lb. weights and get the blood moving. It feels great and I’m a happier me now that I’ve introduced a brisk walk to my daily routine.

Last night I noticed a bright yellow oriole darting between branches against the backdrop of deep green. He was gorgeous, and I, a captive audience.

Golden Oriolephoto © 2011 Srihari Kulkarni | more info (via: Wylio)

It takes one brave enough to live brightly if they’re to stand against the darkness of the world - without becoming part of it, I thought.

I think we can be easily attracted to the darkness of the world without even realizing it; whether it's taking part in coarse joking, judging others, giving in to critical thinking or even allowing our human nature to lead us into thinking the darkness somehow offers us something more than the blessing of the Lord's favor.

But to remain bright, people who reflect God in our lives, takes courage and strong faith in who we are as Christians. Like the bird whose color will remain just as vivid among the shadows, so are we to be a contrast; to shine against the darkness.

You've been graced with the gift of today - may you have the courage to live it brightly!

"But in your hearts honor Christ the Lord as holy, always being prepared to make a defense to anyone who asks you for a reason for the hope that is in you; yet do it with gentleness and respect..."

(1 Peter 3:15)

Male Hooded Oriolephoto © 2007 Linda Tanner | more info (via: Wylio)


8 comments:

  1. i have been such a huge slacker in the exercise department. man i use to get up early every morning and now...well ya know. ;)

    the picture of the yellow oriole is awesome!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to stand out in the darkness. I love the analogy of standing out like that bright oriole amidst the shadows of the trees.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well said, praising Him for that very grace and for the darkness too... that I may shine brightly in it. Thanks for encouraging me :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just what I needed to hear today. I think God's asking me to be a little bolder and brighter which terrifies me. I like to stay in the safe areas where no one is likely to attack me :) But I don't think I can stay there anymore.... EEK!

    Blessings,
    Mel
    Please feel free to stop by: Trailing After God

    ReplyDelete
  5. We have been blessed with the current day--may we do it justice by "living brightly":).

    ReplyDelete
  6. "It takes one brave enough to live brightly if they’re to stand against the darkness of the world - without becoming part of it." This is beautiful, Debbie!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This was beautiful in its simplicity. You have a way with words. :)

    Thank you for visiting my blog and offering your thoughts. I look forward to getting to know you more through your blog here.

    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  8. "It takes one brave enough to live brightly if they’re to stand against the darkness of the world - without becoming part of it ... "
    Writing like this is what sets you apart, Debbie.

    Thanks for the beautiful encouragement. God Bless.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails