Monday, May 30, 2011

Tilling the Soil of the Spirit

Digging in the gardenphoto © 2009 Fiona Shields | more info (via: Wylio)

Bent over in sun and determination, I raked and hoed and dug most of the day.

I’d left her alone far too long again; the forgiving friend who waits just beyond the garden gate. And, once again, it was I who would pay the price for neglect in righting the wrong of untilled soil, now deplete of nutrients, and the weeds left to roam on their own.

Trying to dig holes for new plants and amendment jarred my whole being as the shovel hit dirt like a fist to stone. It was nearly an impossible task. If the soil would just loosen a bit, I struggled through clenched teeth…but the heat burned and the beads of perspiration dripped down my neck and just when I considered closing the gate and waiting yet another day, I saw myself. There, like the compacted soil was my stubborn, defiant self, set firm and unyielding – and the shovel, the sharp-edged tool equally determined to break through to allow for the bloom of beauty and growth…For the word of God is alive and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart (Hebrews 4:12) NIV.

Flower meadow in Llano, Texasphoto © 1972 The U.S. National Archives | more info (via: Wylio)

Oh, the abundance that awaits a hardened soul! If those twisted tight in pride and self could truly know the fragrance of the Holy Spirit once the soil has been tilled and the seeds of righteousness planted!

Do not be deceived: God cannot be mocked. A man reaps what he sows. Whoever sows to please their flesh, from the flesh will reap destruction; whoever sows to please the Spirit, from the Spirit will reap eternal life. (Gal. 6:7-8) NIV

2 comments:

  1. " The fragrance of the Spirit,"- beautiful! Sometimes we are all stubborn and just need the edge only God provides in order to make us more like his son. Wonderful writing Miss Debbie!:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful. I love this and relate all to well..."There, like the compacted soil was my stubborn, defiant self, set firm and unyielding – and the shovel, the sharp-edged tool equally determined to break through to allow for the bloom of beauty and growth" Love it, thanks Debbie!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails