Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Defiant Me

My son, do not despise the LORD's discipline and do not resent his rebuke, because the LORD disciplines those he loves, as a father the son he delights in.Proverbs 3:11-12 (NIV)

She stood in defiance demanding an answer – not just any answer, but the one she wanted to hear.

But I held firm to what I knew was right, which only fueled her rage.

“Fine! I’m asking Dad!”

By now, in my house the kids should know that I and my husband stand united on the big stuff, so I let her storm off in search of resolution.

Angryphoto © 2009 Clemens v. Vogelsang | more info (via: Wylio)

The scene made me think of the times I’ve stomped in defiance wanting God to bless my plans and, in essence, agree with whatever it was I demanded of Him.

But when His answer is ultimately “no” and I make the choice to do what I want to anyway, it’s the same as storming off and shouting, “Fine! If I can’t get permission from you, then I’ll go to another authority!”

Wow! Why would I ever purposely choose any other “authority” over my Lord? The act of not following God’s direction automatically assumes that I knowingly give power to the enemy! How could I ever assume that the enemy’s ways are better than the One who knows me and loves me unconditionally?

Lord Jesus,

Please forgive me for the times I’ve chosen not to listen to you –to allow my own desires to rise up over your will. Strengthen and guide me in the light of your love and let me not be misguided by any other power apart from you.

In Jesus’ name. Amen.

He who heeds discipline shows the way to life,
but whoever ignores correction leads others astray.
Proverbs
10:17 (NIV)

2 comments:

  1. Great post, Debbie! We all serve someone. We can either choose to serve God by submitting to His will or we serve the enemy. I want to abide by God's will for my life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, how well I can relate to your post Debbie :) I don't think any of us "welcome" discipline, but inevitably learn our lessons best when we listen to those in authority. Especially, THE ONE, who is in authority over our lives as Christians. I can look back on past experiences, some not so pleasant, and see God's hand all over it! Thank you for sharing your heart, dear :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails