Monday, June 13, 2011

How do You Measure Success?

Blessed is the one
who does not walk in step with the wicked
or stand in the way that sinners take
or sit in the company of mockers,
but whose delight is in the law of the LORD,
and who meditates on his law day and night.
That person is like a tree planted by streams of water,
which yields its fruit in season
and whose leaf does not wither—
whatever they do prospers. (Psalm 1:1-3) NIV

Forma nad sztukąphoto © 2009 tripleigrek | more info (via: Wylio)

How wonderfully awkward to sit in the chair behind the stack of books this time. There I was, the first to show up and set up, ready for the day ahead. I greeted, smiled, witnessed, answered questions about my book, talked it up and even shared hugs and chocolates. I came home with a few more copies than I’d hoped, but the joy and fulfillment from the day had me praising God’s name all the way home.

How good He’s been to me over the years; all He’s brought me through, the mountains He’s moved aside and the love He’s shown that has all brought me to where I am now – living with a heart that beats of praise and peace.

He’s brought me to a place where success isn’t an external thing. You can’t see it or loan it to a friend for the weekend. It doesn’t keep you afloat when the current rises. Success comes when you begin and end each day with thanksgiving. When it's His Word that sustains you through the fire and you reach for it knowing it's what holds truth. It comes when you turn to Him as a first choice as well as the last. It comes when you’re standing in front of that brick wall and there’s nowhere else to turn…but to His open arms. I feel success not when I hold the rewards in my hands, but when I know I’ve placed my life, my faith and my concerns in the palm of His.

How do you measure success?

3 comments:

  1. I love how you give ALL the glory to God. He truely shines through you sweet friend! I love these sentences... "It comes when you turn to Him as a first choice as well as the last. It comes when you’re standing in front of that brick wall and there’s nowhere else to turn…but to His open arms." I need to turn to him as my first choice!:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Debbie...beautiful site with lots of good stuff. For me (1) welcome to She Writes and thnx for the note there -- I'm still figuring it out myself but did post my first blog item today on a piece of current events writing news that you might want to check out; (2) I loved finding the;shelfari' widget on your site, and it inspired me to create my own, but I can't get the actual image, like you have, on my wordpress blog site (I only get the link), so I must be doing something wrong : (

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing this post. I had chills on my arms as I was reading it. That is just how I feel and you expressed it so beautifully. When you know where your strength comes from it makes a difference in your life. You have to go drink from that well daily! May God bless you!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails