Tuesday, August 23, 2011

The Absence of Shoes


I can tell who’s home by the pairs of shoes on the floor. For some reason, they seldom make it into the designated “shoe basket” discreetly hidden beneath the table, but that’s all right. I’ve come to appreciate how they’ve increased in both numbers and size over the years.

Today, however, I went home for lunch, and there were no shoes. Normally, I’d breathe a sigh of contentment with the uncluttered space by my front door, but today…..not so much.

The absence of shoes tells me no one will answer back from upstairs when I announce my arrival. The absence of shoes means that college classes have begun for my oldest, and that we’re on the brink of an exciting, exhausting (and expensive) senior year for the other; another indicator of the changing seasons.

I remember when tiny toddler shoes were the first to hit the basket. Soon, chunky hiking boots and sneakers appeared, and soon after that came the soccer cleats, maybe once in awhile a pair of shiny black paten leather dress shoes and then a larger pair of hiking boots. Then came the tae kwon do shoes and flip-flops, slippers and now even bigger hiking boots mixed in with running shoes.

But it’s the hiking boots…yes, I think I’m most thankful for the many pairs of hiking boots.

Train up a child in the way he should go; even when he is old he will not depart from it. (Proverbs 22:6) ESV


12 comments:

  1. oh how I love this, and yes the shoes do tell an important story don't they? I miss my husband's shoes when he is at work. I'm forever finding my son's shoes scattered about, getting bigger and bigger all the time. I like our sandals the best, they remind me of summer. Bright blessings, Shanyn (Strawberry Roan)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So many seasons in our lives. I'm so thankful God walks with us through all of them. Many blessings, Debbie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely post. Such a simple yet profound illustration. Thank you
    Ray
    http://housesitters.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Believe me, those toddler shoes come back around sooner than you can imagine! Lol! Enjoy these days while you can! ; )

    ReplyDelete
  5. Debbie, this was just beautiful! I guess I should be a little more forgiving that my little people can't seem to get their shoes in the basket at our house either. No wonder you're in Fall mode... summer has gone for you with your kids back in school. Love your precious heart, this post made me just want to hug you! Blessings :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Debbie - what an awesome way to look at those shoes that lay about under the table, at the door, around the corner. Its about the lives that walk in them. Great perspective
    God bless
    Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so glad to have found your blog; it's full of wisdom and words that bless.....just my kind of blog.

    You have given me a new perspective on "shoes by the door"....My daughter has a 2, 4 and 6 year old and their various shoes are always around her front door where they have missed the basket.....Instead of looking at the clutter, I will now think of the precious ones who fill these shoes and be ever so thankful that God gave them to us....

    Thank you so much for your post.....

    Hugs and blessings,
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  8. So sweet Debbie! So, so true, someday there won't be shoes scattered about. Hopefully, they will still come over and make a mess!!
    Love Ya,
    Bettina

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your post, Debbie! And I can so relate. We are in so many different changing seasons in our family. Our oldest is gone, married with children. Our second oldest is getting married in ten days. Our third oldest is married and expecting her first child. Our "baby" turns 20 early next month.

    We've run the gammut with our "shoepile" too. Now it's the occasional sandal of our last college girl still at home, mixed with hubby's and my own by the door. Soon, it will be the tiny baby shoes again, as a new grandbaby - one who actually lives local, rather than ten hours away - graces our home. I've forbidden our daughter and her husband from moving far away... Just kidding.

    The seasons of life; they are all a blessing for which to give thanks, even the hardest ones. Our soon-to-be-married son just celebrated his fifth year of sobriety. That was a hard season... but it has borne much fruit!

    Bless you,
    Cheri

    ReplyDelete
  10. Loved this post, Debbie. Who would have thought a basket of shoes could tell the stories of a family. Great writing!
    Blessings,
    Pam at www.2encourage.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is wonderful Debbie! This makes me more appreciative of the season I am in with my little girls! Sometimes the busy drives you so insane you forget to notice just how cute those little shoes are. Thank you for this reminder:) Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  12. what a neat way of looking at things....have a great weekend

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails