Monday, August 22, 2011

Rushing the Blessing



I’ve done it again – brought the fall decorations down from the rafters, lit the scented candles and spent the afternoon bringing warmth to my home to the backdrop of Mozart and Handel…and it’s still August! Actually, it’s the only season in which I can truly justify the rich, warm colors I’ve chosen for year-round decor. Colors that lend themselves well to rich coffee and the glow of a fireplace on those chilly Autumn nights.

It seems I always want to jump ahead to the next season, hurry toward the next blessing; usher it in quickly to enjoy it sooner…only to sometimes overlook the one I’m given. Much like the seasons, blessings are handed down one at a time, according to the Lord’s time frame – not ours.

In the meantime, just as summer breathes her last and autumn tosses her leaves to the wind, we’re to hold tight, stand firm and consider the blessings to be revealed in the new season, rather than the chaff of hopes perhaps now spent and dormant …much like the clutter of leaves across the path.

When we’ve made the decision, from the inside out, to follow Jesus and His perfect will for our lives, we don’t just follow Him through the “good” seasons when we walk the roads smooth and free of pot holes. His Word says he will never leave us nor forsake us (Joshua 1:5), so how could I, in selfish defiance, turn my heart away from all He is and all He’s done simply because I think He’s not handing out the blessings fast enough?

It’s a maturity of faith and a deep trust in the Lord’s plan that keep our knees and our will happily bent to His.

Lord Jesus,

Help me to continue to grow my faith and to trust in You always. Help me to keep a pure heart and sincere desire to follow Your ways throughout every season of life. It’s in your name I pray. Amen.

Whoever dwells in the shelter of the Most High

will rest in the shadow of the Almighty.

I will say to the Lord, "He is my refuge and my fortress,

my God, in whom I trust."

(Psalm 91:1-2) NIV


9 comments:

  1. Wonderful post Debbie! I love the end part of summer and the entrance into fall.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I don't want to rush ahead to the next season and lost sight of where God has me right now. Great encouragement, Debbie! I'm very ready for fall too. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you know your writing is even more beautiful now that I have met you! Yo are right. Our faithfulness and heart of thanksgiving should not change with the seasons. We are to stand firm in Jesus. Loce the fall background:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The seasons come and go and through it all God is constant, never changing. I praise the Lord for his goodness to me and am thankful that his mercies are new everyday. Lovely written. The Fall is a beautiful time of year. I love your fresh and timely new look.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amen, me too... "Help me to continue to grow my faith and to trust in You always. Help me to keep a pure heart and sincere desire to follow Your ways throughout every season of life." Beautiful post my friend... and love your new look :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful description, Debbie. I love this time of year!
    Blessings!
    Pam at www.2encourage.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amen Debbie -- and wow, look at your lovely fall layout too! Ha. We have a corn maze/fall fun season that will open the first weekend in September. I already had to decorate with scarecrows and fake pumpkins near that part of our farm. I love fall and wish it was cold now. :o)

    Bless you!
    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  8. Debbie, I'm always in a hurry to get to Autumn also. It is my favorite season of the year. Thanks for sharing this so beautifully! God bless you! Deb

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are right Debbie, it is an all round total commitment with God that counts, great post!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails