Monday, February 27, 2012

Living Out Your Purpose

'White' photo (c) 2011, Quinn Dombrowski - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0/

You may not know this, but I have super powers.

I’m the only one in the house who knows how to replace the empty tissue paper roll in the bathroom AND put the toilet seat down all in the same visit.

I know how to replace the kitchen paper towel roll, too and even wipe jelly off the counter…. but my super powers don’t stop there! No ma’am! I and only I can see the little wads of dog fur that accumulate beneath the couch and with my super-mom strength, I even manage to single-handedly lift the empty milk container from the fridge and stuff it into the garbage can.

With my special super-mom x-ray vision, I see beyond the backpacks and shoes all the way through to the dirty sock in the middle of the living room floor…the one that everyone else steps over for 3 days.

It’s really not their fault…poor things – they obviously don’t see all the things I see or possess the same powers as I do.

Obviously, the little jobs mentioned above are meant to be shared, but I have to believe that there are certain tasks meant for only you and for only me.

Have you thought about that lately?

About the task set aside with YOUR name on it? As the days stretch out into months and years, have you considered what it is you are meant to do? Do you believe that you’ve been designed to fulfill a particular need in this world – a purpose YOU and only YOU were created for and that it began all the way back when Jesus spoke your name for the very first time?

I want to remind you that it’s never too late to seek that purpose and live it out fully. If you’re still here, there’s still work to be done!

But you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, God’s special possession, that you may declare the praises of him who called you out of darkness into his wonderful light.

(1 Peter 2:9) NIV



4 comments:

  1. How perfect is His timing that your post was read today...just when I was finding where God wanted me to go in a ministry work. And yes I have those super powers too...they are great except for the part when you can see that other people have them and don't use them. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Debbie,

    Wow! For so many years, I've had people tell me over and over that my 'true' ministry is with my family. My husband is not a believer (and he's not a 'quiet' non-believe, but one who enjoys going head-to-head with me about my faith in Jesus as often as possible), and sadly, his skepticism has really adversely influenced our two teens over the years. Yet, I've always looked to minister and serve other more 'needy' folk, spending a great deal of my time at church involved in churchy or community events. So of course, our relationship, which was always kind of iffy anyway, continued to crash and burn.

    Last month, my husband had to have spinal fusion surgery and since I'm retired, I'm the one who is his sole caretaker as he heals and rehabilitates, besides picking up his workload around the house and adding it to my own duties (yes, the kids help, but they're at school all day and there are some things that just cannot wait). At this time, I'm unable to really be involved in/with anything/anyone else outside of my family. As I spend so much time at home with my husband, I'm seeing such a healing, growth and strength in our marriage over this past month that not even my attending counseling was able to bring about. Also, I was always so irritated and even angry that my husband could NEVER seem to see Jesus in me as I served my church family and community and neighbors, but now, as we spend more and more time with each other and I tend to his needs, I can see that he is. Well, DUH!!!! 2X4 upside MY head! I'm hopeful that as we unite and bond, our kids will see the change and perhaps, my husband and children will open up their hearts to accept Jesus' love, mercy, grace & forgiveness for themselves.

    Anyway, it would seem that ministering to my family is indeed the task that God placed my name upon long ago. It just took me a ridiculous amount of time to see it and agree. Again -- DUH!!! :)

    Thanks for your post today, Debbie!

    Grace & peace,
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  3. Debbie:
    God equips us with certain skills and temperaments in order to do the tasks He has called us to do, even at home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's so true! And, if I didn't possess those same super powers things would probably be so much worse around the house. Now, I just have to figure out how to be in more than one place at a time...

    Love the post. Thanks for the chuckle and the food for thought.

    Love you BFF!!
    Tami

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails