Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Reaching Down to the Roots

'Lavatera' photo (c) 2005, B.G.Z. Olson - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nd/2.0/

For whatever reason, the lavatera shrub that occupies a sunny corner of the garden has decided to shrivel. Her foliage is curled and dry and she’s thinned out so much that even the little finches have abandoned their hiding space within her branches to head for a thicker, denser residence.

I headed out yesterday morning to water and even though the poor thing looked so thirsty on the outside, I knew her foliage wasn’t what needed watering. No, what she needed was a deep-down soaking; a good, long drink that reaches clear to the roots with a sustaining power to last through the heat of the day.

Like the shrub that withers in the garden, it does little good to spray the foliage – moisture lasts but just a moment or so on the surface then evaporates. But the water that reaches clear to the roots, the heart of what’s been created, will remain and will continue to nourish and replenish.

I’m giving thanks today for those who reach the very heart of me.

'Project 50 #33 - Watering Can' photo (c) 2009, Christopher Craig - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/

I’m giving thanks for the ones who make themselves available to be used by God and FOR God.

I’m thankful that He brings the perfect sermon on a Sunday morning; a day when I enter our sanctuary empty and needing the Word. He brings a message that speaks to the root of me and feeds my spirit.

He brings the mother-in-law who calls me at 6am on a Saturday with perfect, God-breathed words of encouragement and a prayer for the day ahead.

He brings a sister in Christ by my office to share a coffee, a hug, a scripture, a gentle smile and a listening ear.

He brings that message in the mail, the one I stain with tears of joy for the comfort it gives.

In essence, it’s the light of the Lord shared by others that carries sustaining power. Praying you will be used by Him and for Him to reach the very root of someone today.

3 comments:

  1. Oh, so true, Debbie! God knows just when we need a hug, a word, a mini peppermint patty! I am so thankful for His encouragement in my life through the thoughtful hands of others.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep...that's our great, big God! Sending hugs just in the nick of time.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails