Saturday, July 21, 2012

Just Thinkin' Ahead

'Autumn' photo (c) 2011, Moyan Brenn - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nd/2.0/
My family thinks I’m a little “off” because I’m always living a season ahead. I’ve said it before (guess I’ll say it again…) there are only 2 seasons on my personal calendar:
Gardening and Christmas!

I load up our fireplace mantle with mini pumpkins, gourds and fall foliage somewhere in mid-August. It seems I’m the first one bold enough to hang a festive fall wreath on my front door before the little ones pass by on their way to school. My kids tease me and roll their eyes when I break out Christmas CDs and DVDs in September. (Small confession: I’ve already been burning cinnamon/spice candles J
This year is no exception. To me, as soon as the fireworks are over July 4th, I’m anticipating fall. I’m thinking ahead to baking and creating “cozy” throughout my home. I watch the sky for the occasional unexpected rain showers and start planning for the holidays with childlike excitement.
Perhaps this trait of thinking ahead has been God’s plan all along. Maybe He’s been grooming me all these years, preparing me for this new adventure of magazine publishing. Magazines are already planning out a whole year in advance – luckily, with my smaller scale project, it’s only a season.
I’m glad God sometimes provides dreams coming true in small doses – aren’t you?
“No temptation has overtaken you except what is common to mankind. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can endure it.”
(1 Cor. 10:13)

As we’re busy assembling our thoughts and pages for our upcoming fall issue of Christian Women’s Voice Magazine, my hope is that you’ll be looking ahead, too and consider sharing your thoughts in our first-ever “Moments” contest. (It’s FREE to enter). Autumn is a glorious time of year, and you’re invited to capture and share your best writing with us (250-500 words/fiction-or non fiction). It needs to be related to the season in some way – other than that, just have fun with it! Please submit your entry by August 10th to: cwvinfo@christianwomensvoice.org

Another way we’d like to get to know you is through our “Creation Station” contest. If you have a well-organized home-office space, maybe a home school classroom or well-organized kitchen pantry or work station of any kind, we’d LOVE to see it and learn more about it! Share your tips, experiences and ideas for the space where you create something lovely to share with others. Again, please submit your entry by August 10th to: cwvinfo@christianwomensvoice.org
I do hope you’re enjoying your summer and are finding innovative ways to beat the heat and longer days…..but I also hope you’ll join me in anticipating the coming season and all the blessings that accompany it.
Many Blessings to you,
Debbie

6 comments:

  1. Oh how I do love the fall as well! Hmmm...I can smell the apple pumpkin candles burning already!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This puts me in the mood for drinking some apple cider while my baby and I cuddle in a blanket on the couch to read together with a fire crackling away in the fireplace and an autumn rain gently falling outside!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Debbie, are we blog sisters in spirit? When I read you love gardening and Christmas, that was my thought. I am with you in your two choices. One book I wrote is about Christmas and one I aim to get published is about gardening, two passions of mine.
    Your magazine sounds like a grand adventure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like we have a lot in common, Terra. Hopefully, you'll consider putting some thoughts together for our contest. You can visit our web site at: christianwomensvoice.org and click on the front cover to preview our current issue.
      Thanks for visiting my blog :)
      Blessing!

      Delete
  4. Debbie, I love that God put that in you...all in advance of you realizing your calling of becoming a magazine publisher! Awesome!

    I can't fathom thinking like that though. I'm the one who is holding on to the final day of summer like it will never be back again. I've always been like that and I'm not sure why. As soon as I see the back to school things in the stores, I feel so sad to be saying goodbye.

    (Although, the happiness in your post was a little contagious, I'll admit!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're doing an amazing job at publishing! It will be one year before ya know it:) I'm like you, well I love the holidays and decorating but I'm challenged in the gardening department!;) Whether I'm reading your writing or a comment you've left for me, you are so warm and encouraging in all you do!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails