Wednesday, July 22, 2015

A Plan, a Jam Session and Green Beans

So, it happened again….
   I spent the entire day thinking about cooking! I had so many different recipes going through my head before I decided on one in particular.
   I couldn’t wait to run a couple errands after work, come home, clean up a few things, throw in some laundry and get an early start on dinner.
Instead…


   I came home to a rather loud and unexpected “concert,” of sorts.
I love when my son’s incredibly talented and gifted friends show up because they almost always end up around the piano (though it's hard to see the friend at the piano in this shot, trust me, he's there).
   We are a complete and total band geek and drum corps family. Music is ALWAYS happening in our lives and in our home – it’s very much a part of us and it’s been that way since before the kids were even born.
   I’m particularly blessed knowing that both my kids have had some amazing and wonderful friendships that actually began in their pre-school days and have continued on to this day. I’ve always been thankful that God allowed us to stay in the same town since the kids were born making it possible to maintain friendships for many years.
   So today, once the music finally stopped and everyone cleared out of the house, I was able to get in the kitchen and start banging pots and pans around.
   This is a simple and tasty recipe that I've made before for my husband and I’m happy to share it with you.


Debbie’s Green Beans
12 oz. green beans, washed and trimmed
1 Linguica Sausage thinly sliced
½ small red onion thinly sliced
2-3 garlic cloves, mashed
1 Tbsp. butter
Zest of 1 lemon
1 tsp. garlic powder
Salt and pepper to taste
1 c. low sodium chicken broth
1 handful of slivered almonds (browned in a little butter)
1 Tbsp. olive oil


Directions:
Heat olive oil in pan. Add linguica and cook until brown. Remove meat from pan and add butter to remaining drippings. Once butter is melted add onion, salt and pepper and garlic powder. Cook and stir for a few minutes. Add garlic and continue cooking. Add the green beans and cook for a few minutes stirring as they cook.
In the meantime, melt a small pat of butter in a pan and brown slivered almonds. Remove from heat.
Return sausage to green bean mixture and add chicken broth. Bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat. Simmer about 20-30 minutes. Sprinkle slivered almonds across top before serving.



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails