Thursday, July 23, 2015

Unsettling Conviction




I pulled another warm towel from the dryer and stood folding it when a wave of conviction settled over me.
Don’t you just hate when that happens? One of those run-and-hide moments but you can’t escape it.
My mind went back to last Sunday morning when my husband was asked to fill in for the worship leader who’d been called away at the last minute.
My first response? “Really? Matt can’t lead worship. He doesn’t sing. He’s a trumpet player.”
Ouch!
So much for confidence in my husband and so much for confidence in our incredible God who equips us to fulfill His every task so that we may be a blessing to others. I usually bristle when I hear someone categorize or stereotype another, yet there I was doing the same thing in thinking his abilities were limited within the confines of walls I’d essentially built around him!
What was I thinking? Instead of seeing it as an opportunity for my husband to be used of God in a tight situation, I focused on what I thought his abilities were.
Double ouch!
Was it fear? Was I afraid he would be embarrassed? Was I afraid I would be embarrassed? The convicting part? Forgetting that God wouldn’t lead either of us to embarrassment.

Forgive me, Lord Jesus! Help me to remember that we can do ALL things through You who strengthens us. You equip us for every task. You do not leave us stranded. Help me to see you clearly as you work in me and in the lives of those around me, and help me to never limit what you choose to do in your people. Amen.

Every. Single. Day. I see the signs of Jesus working in my life. He gives those little learning moments that teach, convict and also give me a safe resting place to remind me that it’s all going to be ok. That He is near. He is within. He is ahead and behind and cheering me on from the sidelines. And last Sunday, He was cheering Matt on, as well.
Do you not know? Have you not heard? The LORD is the everlasting God,
the Creator of the ends of the earth. He will not grow tired or weary, 
and his understanding no one can fathom. (Isaiah 40:28)


1 comment:

  1. "Oh ye of little faith" :) I am sure your dh did a great job filling in as worship leader. I like the phrase "God doesn't call the equipped, he equips the called."

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails